Tuesday, 22 April 2008

The "seemed like a good idea at the time" award...


production line, originally uploaded by Emma Bradshaw.


goes to the handstitching of 12 party bags as I don't have a sewing machine. My loathing of the children's party culture and party bags in particular means that ultimately I have to practice what I preach. This year my little man was having a party on a farm, so I thought what better gift than the old ladybird books (they are so educational and have beautiful illustrations) that I grew up with in the 70's (now called 'vintage') and starting searching for 'the farm' for the two year olds and 'the farmer' for older brothers and sisters on ebay and in charity shops. I then thought I would use up the old scraps of fabric I had and bits of tape and ribbon to make little party bags. Not quite sure what I was thinking as I had twelve to make with no sewing machine! I added one gold coin into each bag and a small bottle of bubbles. The children were so tired after all the running around and rides in the tractors that I am not sure what they thought of them, but I have an exhausted but triumphant feeling that at least I got them all finished!

4 comments:

  1. handsewing twelve bags -- omg what were you thinking!! now that's some serious dedication :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. they turned out so lovely... I don't know about the hand-sewing though, sounds a little too much like hard work to me.

    I do love the ladybird books, I have just acquired the ones from my Mum that I grew up with - oh so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these so much--and what you put in them. I believe in a simple party bag--yours turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you Jane, jo and mary beth, it was definately worth it - but I will borrow mums sewing machine next time!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...